Friday, October 28, 2011

Making it fun!



I have not as of yet written anything about me teaching art at the Learning Foundation and Performing Art Charter School. I am their Art teacher and Bus Driver. An interesting combo but I enjoy it. The question arose when it was time to have the art students draw a still life; how to make it interesting and fun? I enjoy still lifes myself but kids in general do not. The typical bowl of fruit is what every student dreads. So then it dawned on me. It's almost Halloween, why not put Halloween objects together in a still life. We also, did the still lifes on black paper with chalk pastels for that extra awesome "pop". I drew a couple of sketches for the kids as examples to help demonstrate how to use the pastels on black paper and how to create an interesting composition. I had forgotten how much I enjoy using pastels. I kinda stared to feel addicted to drawing these pictures and I believe I am going to be dragging out my pastels more often. It's amazing how much we learn teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment